Log in

No account? Create an account
Can I work in Washington and live in BC? I'm an American married to… - to canada with love

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

CIC - your #1 immigration resource

August 27th, 2005

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:12 am
Can I work in Washington and live in BC?

I'm an American married to a Canadian. I have only just applied to extend visitor's status. It hasn't been processed yet. Also we are flagged at the border from when we tried to move (yes it was an ignorant mistake).

I was just wondering if I can live in BC and drive across the border to work each day. Would Canada let me back in? Do I need to wait for my visitor's status extension to be approved? Or can I not leave the country at all until I am a Permanent Resident?

(1 comment | Leave a comment)


[User Picture]
Date:August 29th, 2005 12:18 am (UTC)
In theory there is no reason why you couldn't. In your situation it might be tricky as that might raise flags as to the degree of need to live in in Canada and/or cast doubt on your relationship. I doubt however, if it would be a deal breaker. Government websites tell you that in your situation there are no guarantees you will be let back in if you leave, mostly I think they are covering their asses but you never know.
I wonder though, how easy is it to find work close enough to the border to be worthwhile, given the price of gas and the commute time etc. Unless you live close to Point Roberts.

> Go to Top